Wow! I almost feel like I need to preface this by saying, "I'm not predjudice!"
I took Mckenna with me to Jamba Juice recently to get a drink and we were sitting out on the patio drinking our juice when I realized that I had gum on my sandle. I was trying to scrape it off on the cement while saying that I couldn't believe that I stepped in gum. Mckenna looks at me and says, "Oh, those Mexicans." My jaw dropped! I could not believe what she had just said. It was so off the wall that I was trying to hold back laughter. I'm not sure whether the laughter was from embarassment or just the fact that a 5 year old says what is on their mind. I asked her why she said that and where she had heard that before. I asked her who talks like that or says those kinds of things. She could tell by the tone of my voice that she had done something wrong and just said, "I don't know." I told her that what she said was not a very nice thing to say and explained it. I told her that she shouldn't say things like that anymore.
I sat there trying to figure out where she would have heard something like that. When I told her older brother and sister they responded, "Grandpa." They might be right. She has started kindergarten recently too and it is amazing what kids bring home from school.
No comments:
Post a Comment