I wanted them to know what it was like hunting for frogs and turtles, canoeing down rivers and swimming in natural lakes. I wanted them to experience humid summer days and nights filed only with the sounds of crickets and frogs.
I wanted them to know a different life than they were used to.

We had a Red Eye flight to Michigan and if you were able to look close enough you could probably see my bloodshot eyes. I didn't sleep a wink the whole flight.
Aunt Sandy and Uncle TJ took us to a water park after we arrived so that the kids could play in the water for a little while.

Aunt Sandy, Uncle TJ and Mckenna.

Devyn showing off his six pack!

I found a tree frog on the side of the house and we couldn't resist messing with Mckenna while she was sleeping.
Aunt Sandy and Uncle TJ took us to Frankenmuth, a little German village, for a couple of days.

The hotel that we stayed at had an indoor water park that the kids loved- OK, so did I.

Aunt Sandy and Uncle TJ

Tiya, Devyn and Mckenna in downtown Frankenmuth.
I got to spend some time with my friend Mark during our trip and we were lucky enough to have planned our trip to Michigan at the same time as the Geoghegan Family Reunion.

Mark and Dawn with their baby Ava

Mr. and Mrs. Geoghegan

Mark and I in front of St. Patricks Church in Union Lake.
Julie spent the day with the kids and I playing miniture golf. We had a great time. It was really nice catching up with Julie.

Julie, Mckenna, Tiya and Devyn playing Miniture Golf.

Julie and I. It's hard to believe we've known each other since we were in diapers.
Julie and her friend joind the kids and I Kayaking down a river I canoed down several times as a kid. One of my greatest memories as a kid was when my Dad and I canoed down this same river with our Indian Guide group and camped for the weekend.

Mckenna kick'n back in the kayak. As you can see she is really working up a sweat.

Tiya and Devyn were like a pinball machine bouncing from one shore to the other.

We kayaked up the river and across this lake. Everyone we visited during the trip kept commenting on how much Devyn looked like me or how much he reminded them of me when I was his age. This picture is the first time I really noticed how much we are built alike. Ok, so my six pack isn't quite a six pack anymore but hey who's counting.I took the kids out to my Uncle Bill and Aunt Vicki's house to visit. The kids got a great taste of country living. It was so nice to be able to let the kids roam around outside for hours and not have to worry about them. At home I never let Mckenna out of my sight so it was strange to let her run around outside without being right on top of her.


The kids with Aunt Vicki
The kids caught chickens and in Mckenna's case spent most of her time chasing and catching (tormenting) chickens. She was up bright and early every morning pulling Aunt Vicki out of the house to gather eggs.
This is Uncle Bill's tree house. The kids thought this was pretty cool. They got to explore the woods in their front yard looking for frogs. We even saw a deer one evening coming back from dinner.
The kids had fun in the back yard playing with Gracie (the black lab) and finding frogs around the pond. Uncle Bill let the kids ride the quad around the back yard too. Not sure how many times I heard, "Dad, we really need to get one of these." This was virtually the garden of Edan for Mckenna, I think, chasing chickens, gathering eggs, playing with the dog and picking vegetables and berries out of the garden.

Me, Grandma, Mckenna, Tiya and Devyn
We drove up to Grandma Baden's house in St. Hellen one day. The kids got to meet their Great Grandma who turns 90 in October this year. As a kid Dad and I used to spend weekends in St. Hellen, Standish and West Branch deer hunting. The forests here never ceases to amaze me. I think the kids were pretty amazed too.

Back at Uncle Bill's having a bonfire and roasting marshmellos in his back yard.

Dev on his dream machine
We went fishing at a place called Seven Ponds near Uncle Bill's. Seven ponds are connected by little canals. We took the row boat out and tried fishing in a couple of them. The kids were catching fish non-stop. We filled up a bucket with ten or so "Pan Fish." Sunfish mostly, I think. We took them home and Aunt Sandy cooked the for us.

Uncle Bill making one last phone call before departing and the kids eagerly waiting.

Tiya and Dev enjoying the ride.

Uncle Bill, Captain of this fine vessel.
Tiya was proud of her catch, unfortunately the Bass was too small to keep.
Uncle Bill, Tiya, Mckenna, Me and Devyn
Before leaving Uncle Bill and Aunt Viki's we went to Lexington, Mi., which is on the shore of Lake Huron. No matter how many times I see the Great Lakes I still stand in awe at the fact that you can't see the shore on the other side.
Mr and Mrs Geoghegan invited us over to their house for dinner one night so the kids, my Aunt Sandy, Uncle TJ and I joined them for a BBQ. We had a great evening visiting with them. They were always like a second family to me.

Mark, Mrs Geoghegan and Me

Devyn, Mckenna, Tiya, Me, Aunt Sandy and Uncle TJ
No comments:
Post a Comment