Monday, January 30, 2006

Mountain Biking: San Juan Trail


Me, Chris, Tim, Vegas Bob, Betsy and Joe

Vegas Bob's birthday ride! What a ride it was down the 6 mile (according to Chris) descent that is this portion of the the San Juan Trail. When Chris said that we were going to shuttle to the top and ride the trail down I thought to myself, "OK not much of a workout today, but I wont complain. It's a great day for a ride." This thought will never- ever- cross my mind again. There is a lot to be said about a downhill workout! This was by far the longest 6 mile descent that I have ever taken and what a workout it was.

Hard-tail hell, yes indeed. We start the ride out making our way through a nicely wooded area that was rocky but manageable. We hadn't gotten too far when we pass a couple of bikers heading up the hill. Moving to the side of the path to let us go by they look at me and say, "You've got a hard-tail, sweet!" At that very moment I knew that I was coming out of this ride with pain. So I swallow down those uneasy words of encouragement like bad medicine and continue on my way and like the bad after taste of medicine lining the throat, the taste of these words and their impending doom, laced the walls of my mind.

The trail begins to get rocky and more technical but the landscape is an incredibly soothing contrast to my grunts, groans and occasional 4 letter expletives. Even with the beating that I was taking I was feeling pretty good. I was actually clearing a good portion of the technical stuff. Vegas Bob was like the wind, you thought you heard him go by but you never saw him. Chris was right behind him and Tim who said that he hadn't ridden in a couple of years was rock'n. Betsy, was blazing a trail as usual and Joe, was looking happy to be alive.


Vegas Bob and Chris talking to a couple of guys we met on the trail.


Betsy rounding a turn.

After making our way through a good portion of the rocky trail, Chris informs us that we are out of the rocks for the most part. Now, as Betsy says, "don't ever believe a word Chris says" and she happened to be right this time. The rocks continued but, now we had bug ruts and loose sand over sandstone too.


Vegas Bob and Me taking a short break.

Let the pain begin! My fingers were tapping out morse code on my brake levers as my bike is bouncing from one rock to another and my tires are sliding in and out of ruts that are wanting nothing more than to eat me up- bike and all. Every time we stop to take a head count more blood appears. Betsy gets whipped by a branch, Tim and Joe both have wounds and mine was yet to come.





After making a short stop Chris decides to hang back and tells me to follow Vegas Bob out- yeah right! Sure I followed him, for about 2 minutes and then it was just me and God. I'm riding on the edge of adrenaline and testosterone- not sure which has a stronger hold on me- trying to at least get within view of Bob and all the while my mind is asking why. My front tire gets sucked into a rut and I get pulled to the ground with my shin slamming into my cross bar. It was the shin slamming kind of pain that makes you feel like you are going to blow chunks. I sat on the trail and recouped for a moment- no sign of anyone yet. I get back on my bike and continue the beating. I make it another 100 yards- maybe- and the "switch backs" start. OMG! The first switch back I try to take on my bike. I come around not quite making the turn and get eaten by a bush- talk about role reversal! I got swallowed whole. After composing myself this time I decided to at least put away the testosterone- the adrenaline was still pumping. I waited a few minutes but still there was nobody in sight so I decide to start taking pictures.

I took my time riding the rest of the way and stopped here and there taking pictures. Eventually we all regrouped again and made our way to the end of the trail. All of us except for Vegas Bob had a good crash and all of us except for Vegas Bob and Chris had some sort of wound.

My body was spent! I fell asleep on the couch that night about 9:00 pm. I slept great. Will I go back to the San Juan Trail anytime soon? Probably not. Will I ever go back to San Juan Trail? You can count on it! It was an incredible ride. It was challenging to say the least and very beautiful. It was like getting a beating but all the time begging for more.

No comments: