Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Tuesday Night Sullivan Canyon Ride


Driving to the trail tonight after work was dreadful- I hate riding alone. I spent the entire drive trying to convince myself that I wanted to go. I arrived at the trail, got my equipment ready, took one last look at the clock radio as I locked the car and got on my bike. I started my ride, legs on fire and very aware that they'd continue to burn for the next 15-30 minutes while my muscles converted glucose and glycogen into lactic acid to use as fuel. My mind was very centered on the fact that I was riding alone but as I focused on the trail in front of me I slowly settled into my zone. My breathing grew louder in my head like the sound of a freight train coming through the trees. Tree limbs whipped by catching me in the arms and legs as if disciplining me for some wrongful deed I had committed. The steady sound of my tires crushing dirt and gravel became a lullaby singing along with the breathing in my head. The wind rushing past, resonating in my ears, added harmony to this symphony playing out in my mind where I, the conductor, determined the tempo of these stampeding notes that were pedal strokes. This ride was my symphonic score and I was the maestro. It was my mind alone that was in control and my body simply playing out what my mind asked of it. As the days last breath lingered behind the mountains in a dull orange glow I found myself reaching out for that very last summit glad that I had decided to ride.



Other Sullivan Canyon rides:
Mountain Biking Sullivan Cyn.
Mountain Biking with my Son
Tiya Gets all Muddy


No comments: