Sunday, May 14, 2006

Mothers Day (A letter from Aunt Sandy)

Shawn,

I've been doing some thinking and I'll do my best to recall some memories of your Mom. I think first I need to remind you that your Mom and I had a 10 year age difference. So I know some of your Mom's feelings in her younger years but I can't fill in a lot cause I was so little.



Your Mom was Grandma Davis's first child from her marriage to Michael St. Amant. When your Grandpa St. Amant and Grandma Davis divorced Grandma Davis moved in with her father Grandpa Wagner and your Mom was born. Your Grandpa St. Amant didn't want to pay child support but was ordered to by the court and wasn't happy about it. He was angry and as a result didn't see your Mom much and wasn't very active in seeing her during her young years. I always felt that your Mom missed having more of a relationship with her Dad.

Grandma Davis married Charles Davis and they adopted me (I was 1 mo. old) when your Mom was 10 yrs. old. We all lived together until your Mom was nearly 16. I think Grandma and Grandpa Davis were a little strict and Papa kept trying to get your Mom to move in with him and Auntie . Your Mom threatened to quit school at 16 unless she could move in with Papa and Auntie . Grandma Davis loved your Mom and only wanted the best for her so she told her it was ok to go live with Papa and Auntie .



Your Mom did ok in school and was very popular. She did a lot of school activities and had a lot of friends. I'm not making your Mom out to be a saint or anything but I can honestly say that your Mom seemed to be bring out the best in everyone. I never knew her to have a disagreement with anyone. I really can't remember her being really mad. She was a lot of fun and easy to get along with. She loved to dance and I know she took lessons at Arthur Murray dance studio. I think she even traveled to different dance exhibitions for them. She had good taste in clothes and always looked great in whatever she wore. She had no trouble getting a nice tan and she was so cute in her bathing suits. She was built tiny just like her Mom and Dad were. Believe it or not your Grandma Davis was quite a beauty in her young days and dressed very nice.

I only got to see your Mom on weekends when I went to Papa and Auntie's because I still lived at home. When I was little I loved being with your Mom. As soon as I could walk I followed her around everywhere. And I'm sure as a big sister she must of got tired being stuck with me or me tagging along. She used to give me a ride in her basket on her bike if I begged enough. I remember saying, "Alwus wide me on your bike". When she really didn't want to and gave in anyway she would pinch me while I was in the basket and I'd cry. But I always came back and begged for a ride anyway. She used to take me to the beach at Elizabeth Lake and I would play on the sand while she danced in the clubhouse. I was a good baby and little sister most of the time. I did pretty much what I was told. I always looked up to your Mom. She was my idol. Thats why I sometimes got in trouble for trying on her clothes or messing with her eyelash curler.

We shared a bed at Auntie and Papa 's house. Your Mom used to hide in the closet behind our bed to talk to her boyfriends so Papa and Auntie wouldn't yell at her to get off the phone. In those days we had a party line and couldn't tie up the phone too long. When your Mom graduated from high school she started working at the bank. We were brought up Catholic. That meant on friday we didn't eat meat. Auntie wasn't known for her cooking. On friday we always had non-meat dishes. Your Mom would call home from work and ask to talk to me and she'd ask, "What is aunt marie fixing for dinner?" If I answered salmon patties I had to tell Auntie that Alice wouldn't be home for dinner. Consequently I didn't see your Mom till after dinner on most fridays. Saturdays was time for your Mom and me to have alone time because Auntie and Papa always had an afternoon job to do at the pharmacy they cleaned. Your Mom and I loved tuna fish sandwiches and would have lunch and laugh together. Then we were off doing something or other. Your Mom loved to travel roads where she never knew they would go. We did that every chance we could right up till you all moved to Calif. We used to turn on the radio and sing in the car. Neither one of us could carry a tune but we had fun.

Your Mom was a really good cook and always tried new recipes. The only thing she really couldn't cook was fried eggs. She always broke them and I really don't know why. We used to laugh about it. Spelling was another thing that she had trouble with. She would ask me a lot to spell something for her. I wouldn't say your Mom was naive but she didn't always understand even slightly dirty jokes. You know the ones that kind of hint at something. She would come over and whisper in my ear, "I didn't get that." I don't know if I should take it as a slight that I understood it or a complement. I still haven't figured that one out. But we'd laugh. She played Bunko (a card game) with some of her girlfriends when you lived on Pine Knob. We used to have fun ganging up on your Dad playing Uker . Your Mom and I were always partners and we'd always bid too high and your Dad would say, "You can't make that bid" and we would anyway. It used to get his goat and we'd laugh. We would get giggling and couldn't stop. He would get madder.

Your Mom loved number painting on cloth. She made macrame wall hangings. I think she just liked crafts. We loved going to the drive-in and if the movie we wanted to see was only playing at a drive-in far away we'd go anyway. I can't tell you how many times we'd get lost looking for the drive-in. We weren't too good at maps in those days.

She was loyal as the day was long. I don't know a lot about her relationship with your Uncle Mick. He was very quiet and didn't come around on a regular basis. Your Grandpa St. Amant and Loraine were very strict with him. I know that your Mom was very special too him and he loved her very much. I think he could talk to her where as he couldn't talk with others. Even though your Mom moved in with Papa and Auntie she loved her Mom very much. Grandma loved her very much too. As far as your Mom's relationship with her Dad I think it did improve some as the years went by. I think they did get closer. I couldn't say if it was everything your Mom wanted it to be. I think she was a really good mother to you three. She was always so proud of you all. You all kept her pretty busy. She loved being a Mom and was right there with you for all your school activities. She had you bowling on saturday mornings. As with everything else in her life she did her best and gave it her all.

Your Mom loved chocolate covered peanuts. We both did and we got them every chance we could. We loved Grandma Davis's fried fish. Grandma would remove the bones and give it to you kids with buttered bread and your Mom and I would eat it right along with you all. Grandma Davis made the best apple pies and your Mom and me would make her bake for us every time she came to visit. You kids and your Mom and I would have all the black olives eaten before we could put them on the table during our holiday dinners. We had to start buying extra cans so we would have some for the table. Your Mom loved lobster. She made great guacamole . We would all watch TV and eat chips and guacamole. I remember how special your Mom made all the holidays. She was so excited about making everything special for you.

Aunt Sandy


No comments: