Sunday, May 14, 2006

Mothers Day (A letter from Marge Geoghegan)

What a wonderful person Alice was and I was privileged to be her friend from the time Shawn was in the first grade until she passed away. Shawn was my son Mark's best friend and they remain friends today. When the Baden family moved from Michigan to California Alice always made Mark feel welcome when he went to visit- for weeks at a time occasionally. She made everyone feel special.



We used to go for lunch with Millie Blust at a restaurant we liked. One time she said, "You get a table and I'll be right back." We were perplexed. Soon she came back with two red roses and said, "Just because I love you two." That was Alice. Millie and I still go there and always think of her and the roses.

We had a car pool to Saint Pat's grade school for her three and our four kids. It worked out well but I used to laugh because she would drive all the way around the pond so as to avoid a left hand turn into our drive off busy Williams Lake road. "Tail enders you know" she would say. A few years later Mark had an experience with that same thing so she was a smart lady also.

Alice always thought about other people first, even when she was very sick. She fought her illness for many years and suffered much. One time as we were returning from one of her Chemo Therapy treatments she said, "I only want to live long enough to see our children grow up. I know I'll never see the grand children but if God would only let me see the children grow up." That was not given to her, but God always knows best and her reward was waiting for her in heaven.

I lost a truly good friend twenty four years ago but I will always remember her love and courage.

Marge Geoghegan


No comments: