Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Stick Time!

The session for my hockey class, "Stick Handling" has ended and they moved me into "Hockey 3." Last night was supposed to be my first class but there was a really bad accident on the freeway and it took me 2 1/2 hours to get home. Since I missed my class I went to "Stick Time" instead. Only one other kid showed up. After about 10 minutes of skating around with a puck and practicing the kid (probably 14 yrs old) asks me if I want to scrimage. Scrimaging one-on-one is a lot more tiring than say 3-on-3 because you are constantly moving with no break. 30 to 40 minutes into scrimaging I'm about done, not to mention I had eaten 2 buritos before going to "Stick Time" and they were trying to work there way back up. I took a couple of breaks but made it through the full hour.

At the end the kid asks me if I was on a team. "No," I told him, "I just started." "You should be," he said, to my surprise. He asked how long I had been playing and I told him just a few months. Hopefully my endurance will continue to improve.

I would love to join a team. Maybe after "Hockey 3."

No comments: