Sunday, November 27, 2005

Giving Thanks

It is strange that every year I find my spirits dampened in the Fall. I wonder why I'm more emotional- I wonder why I feel the way I do and then it strikes me. I suddenly remember that Thanksgiving is close.


Mom passed away on Thanksgiving morning 23 years ago. I was 16, Steve was 14 and Michele was 12 years old. Thanksgiving was a very strange day in 1982. We went from the CCU in the hospital to our Aunt Pauline's to spend Thanksgiving. I remember not being sure how to feel or act or what to say. I remember feeling how uneasy everyone else was as well. Somehow it did not feel right celebrating a holiday as my mother had died just hours prior.

I assured myself that God had taken my Mother on such a significant day for a reason. There had to be a reason. We all watched her suffer year after year, with Cancer. 12 years in all. Her passing on Thanksgiving was meant, perhaps, to be a comfort. She was now at peace. She no longer hurt or suffered. Thanksgiving has had a very different meaning for me ever since.

When Mom died it was like a bomb went off in the middle of our family. It scattered us everywhere. I've prayed every year that God would grant our family closeness again. That we could somehow pick up the pieces and feel better again. It has been difficult, over the years, trying to recreate Thanksgiving as a family holiday. Like learning to talk again after a stroke.

Thanksgiving was somehow a little different this year. We played cards. Sounds silly I know but usually we just sit on the sofa and watch a movie or something. We actually interacted with each other. Friday we all went to the driving range and hit some golf balls. The kids loved it.


Tiya, Devyn, Steve and Dad


Devyn lining up- Tiya and Riley watching


Tiya, Mckenna, Devyn and Riley


Tiya and Makay


Leslie and Michele holding Kasey

Thanksgiving this year was nice.

No comments: